Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Leisure Definition - Patrick Heddins

          This is a picture of me atop Nevada Falls in Yosemite National Park, California.  I am shown doing one of my favorite pastimes, simply gazing in awe and wonder at the beauty of our natural world. Unfortunately, this picture may have taken away some of the greatness of that experience because now when I think of that particular hike I went on, I think of this picture, as opposed to the feelings and emotions that I was actually experiencing during those moments.  Regardless, it serves as a reminder for me to get back out there, to Yosemite or any other wilderness area, for those are the places in which I find the deepest serenity and realize the connectedness of all things in this world.  I could say my personal definition of leisure is to get out into the natural world, but it quickly falls apart when you realize that my hiking guide considered our time together as work, due to his responsibilities, so I would have to say that leisure is something that is freely chosen by someone to bring joy or happiness in some form or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment