Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Defining Leisure - Kaitlyn Hull

For me, leisure is loud; its full of laughing; it involves close quarters around a patio table, and sharing seats; it deals with running, kicking, and screaming; it means never leaving my backyard. I consider any time that I am able to spend with my extremely close knit neighborhood, one that resembles a family more than anything else, as my definition of leisure. While it is sometimes chaotic, these people mean everything to me, and there is nothing I would rather do then spend a summer night eating a pot luck dinner after countless backyard games, followed by smores. 


With the 10 or so small children in the make up, I am able to be a kid again. I can play tag, running bases, ghost in the graveyard and catch bugs. I am able to relive childhood every summer night, just before the sun goes down. More importantly though, leisure is the complete enjoyment that comes from watching these kids grow. I have been present for most of the major milestones in these ten small lives, and there is no greater feeling than knowing that I am an integral part of their memories. 


With my 4 peers in our small community, I have found a mini support group. I am able to talk for hours about small insignifiigant matters and huge life decisions. These individuals are the ones who ground me, and help me to remember what is important and who I am. Leisure for me is sitting on the back deck, listening to music and discussing current matters of the heart with 4 individuals who I feel most at home with no matter where I am. 


Finally there are my wildly diverse six  sets of parents who I have come to love and respect as my own.  There is a saying that states "it takes a village to raise a child" and for me, it truly did. Each adult I consider not just my neighbor, but my mentor, my friend, and my parent. They all are so unique and wonderful and have taught me so much. Leisure is the nights I get to spend with them on someone's back porch sitting, laughing, and silently learning from them all. 


Before leaving for school, my definition of leisure was much more stereotypical. I would have said time at the lake or on a beach, where one can experience quiet and solitude. After leaving the neighborhood for an extended period of time, I realize now there is nowhere I would rather be then with all of them. Leisure is different for everyone, but I believe it is when you are most comfortable and most at peace, without constantly formulating the future. For me this happens on a back deck, with the people I love, learning lessons and making memories that I will never forget. 







No comments:

Post a Comment